I though I would give a super funny story.
This happened this very Friday, yesterday, and it was just so funny! I was at work and It being both 2 weeks from the end of the school year and being a Friday we were all a little on edge. We, being the students, my co-workers and I. So, with that brief disclaimer I will tell the story.
This year I was assigned to work in a High School. At the beginning of the year I didn't fancy this too much. I was not going to have any more recess and no more book fairs. Well, there are two weeks left in this school year and, I think I've done okay without them. I really think they were an even trade for my current co-workers. They are the best. With it being so close to the end of the school year combined with the promising of weekend freedom in the air, this Friday was a little strained.
At the end of each semester the peer tutors in the class are required to complete a project. They can either write a 3 paged paper on an experience they had with someone they met with a disability or donate from a list of items and only write a paragraph on how that item will help the class as a whole. The this list only has simple items like basic school supplies, candy, hand sanitizer, quick wipes, and the like. Every semester there is a concentration of certain items. I guess this is because certain items are on sale or what not. The concentration for this semester was pencil erasers.
The student projects were due this Friday for all classes. The teachers desk was piled high with a an assortment of items that had been donated. There was a small amount of candy, pencils, and hand sanitizer that littered the desk. However, pencil erasers covered what these items did not. At least 10 packages with 15 erasers each had been collected. The teacher I work with wasn't sure at all where she was going to put them all, but she was delighted to know that there was no way she could run out of erasers next year.
She opened 2 packages and started putting them in her desk drawer. I had been sitting as her desk at the time and was teasing her by closing the desk drawer every time she opened it. She got frustrated and sat on me so that she could complete her task. It was really funny and we all had a good laugh.
The teacher went to go put something else away and I had a brilliant plan. I grabbed the erasers she had place in her desk and spread them all over her desk. One of the Paras in the classroom caught me doing this and had to hold her breathe so as not to giggle and give me away. The teacher, upon finishing her task, turned to come back to her desk. She saw what I had done and a wicked grin crossed her face. I wasn't sure what she had planned, but I figured out quick as an eraser barely missed hitting me square in the head. The war had begun.
Erasers were in constant flight as the Teacher and I flung them across the room at each other. We are all, the Para, the Teacher, and I, laughing so hard tears are streaming down our faces. And, of course who should walk into the class room not 30 seconds later?
The Principal!
The Teacher and I don't see him at first, but the Para did. However, she was still laughing too hard to let us know he was there. She is able to calm down enough to try to tell him whats going on. But, how do you explain this? She manages to choke out that we were all having a moment. The Principle nodes and says that he had something he wanted to talk to them about, but it could wait until they had the time. It was at this point that the Teacher and I see him. He simply nodded and told her to come by his office when she can and he turned and leave. We all looked at each other, there is a split second of silence, and we are laughed again. About 2 minutes later were calm enough to clean up the erasers and move on with our day.
Mean while the students who were supposed to me reading are either laughing at us or really unsure of what had happened. The Teacher and I spent the rest of the day with a few erasers in our pockets, and continued to chuck them at each other one at a time in passing for the rest of the day. It was so painfully awesome. My abs are still sore form the experience.
I hope that I can work with these people next year, but I doubt it. My boss never has me at the same school two years on a row. I truly hope and pray that I can just this once. However its the nature of my job to move around every year, so it is what it is.
I hope you enjoyed that. don't think I portrayed it as awesome as it was, but I thought I would share.
No comments:
Post a Comment